Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Flywheel Society - Assignment One (Memoir)


They were mature trees – tall and grand enough to shade but without creating a foreboding darkness.  The woods at the bottom of the hill: where I spent countless hours as a kid, accountable only to those trees and my friends.  Our house was near the top of the long hill which lead down to the woods.   Once, my sister managed to get the parking break undone on the family car, with me inside as well, and I’m positive we’d have buried that car in the woods if Dad hadn't raced outside in time to stop us rolling.  He has zero memory of the event, which is unnerving since he can remember everything and everyone.

I spent all the time in those woods I could as a kid.   They were so close to home, and yet so unlike everything else around.   A creek ran down the middle of the woods, which rose steeply away from either bank.   At one end of the woods, where the subdivision was looming overhead, the creek vanished into a giant drain pipe.   We wouldn’t have to duck to walk into this pipe, but the pitch black married up with spider webs were enough to keep us out of there.   That and the fact that we sensed it would be against the rules to go into a drainage pipe, and we always followed the rules.

There were rocks and railroad ties aplenty in the woods; and so we had rock and railroad tie forts.  There never seemed to be any incursions into the woods which would require a fort, but preparation is always the key to repelling a large invading force.    Almost every rock in the creek had the look of a turtle.   In fact, if a turtle had a mind to hide, these woods would’ve been the perfect place to blend in.   That was small consolation to the 8-year-old boys seeking pets in vain, but it’s a fact.

I’m not sure if John Lewis was ever in these woods with me.   I would testify that he was, but he didn’t live close and I can’t say for a fact that we ever spent time together outside of school or baseball, not even once.  But certainly he was there.   John was the perfect kind of friend for me.   He was tough, having grown up with no fingers on his left hand except a partial thumb made of a hip-bone chip that doctors had inserted there shortly after his birth.  My first day of second grade I spent watching that hand and nothing else, since it sat at the desk in front of mine and to the side, along with John.   Since literally nothing came easily to John, he was resolute.   I was a wimp – younger and smaller than everyone around, so resolute fit with me very well.   Together we could rule the woods.

Those woods could contain our fun for days.   They allowed us to be boys.   We could go to the woods without any supervision or schedules, without plans or permission.   They were huge and dangerous and dark.  They went on in every direction without ending.  They were tiny, and safe, and close, and if I told you exactly where they were you wouldn’t be able to find them because they aren’t really woods.   They’re a tiny strip of trees, left untouched by the housing development only because the water runoff needed someplace to go, and a “wildlife preserve area” is good political cover for an alderman approving a golf course.   I’m having a hard time even locating them on an aerial map now, because you can’t zoom in enough to see them.   My how they loom large in my foggy memories of 1988.

No comments: