Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Flywheel Society: Assignment Seven (Letter)

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing today to set a few things straight regarding the group rental of rooms at your Red Roof Inn in Greensboro, North Carolina.   The specific incident I have in mind would have been for a period in early spring of 1999.  I suspect you raised an eyebrow when a group claiming to be the N.C. State Chess Club booked 45 rooms and the pool area for a formal.   You may recall the beginnings of a prickly doubt as you considered that there was very little chance any chess club in the world has 45 people in it.   That creeping suspicion was likely confirmed when you laid eyes on the ragtag group of all-white students who showed up with their dates.  A group in which not one man had the outward appearance of knowing what the Alekhine Defense was.

Let me stop right here and acknowledge the validity of your sage concerns.   In fact, this was not the N.C. State Chess Club.   Further, there wasn’t a single student from N.C. State present in this group.  That would make tracing the damage to your rooms back to our fraternity a bit too easy, wouldn’t you agree?   Surely you guessed we didn’t play chess, but you did you realize that even the school was a farce?  I’d like to think that was one more layer than you were able to perceive.

I suspect that when the music started playing in the courtyard that night, you were thrown back into a state of confusion.   The very worst DJ in the long and terrible history of DJs began spinning, and the choices he made (I can’t bring myself to call it a playlist, as that would seem too demeaning to the word) may have really pushed you back into thinking “maybe these guys DO play chess.”  I agree – no person who had ever listened to music would’ve chosen this DJ.   Let me assure you that we were as caught off guard by the performance as you were.   In fact, given the nature of my personal music collection at the time, which consisted of any acoustic band willing to put their music onto CD, the notion that my fraternity brothers would ask me to go grab my case logic from the car, and come “assist” the DJ was the worst of omens.  I guess when the pinnacle of his song selections was “Cotton Eye Joe,” even a Jackopierce CD or something by Jump, Little Children could be considered better party music.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for our ruse.  I hope that we didn’t do significant damage to your property, and that we didn’t also make a stay at your hotel impossible for any actual chess club who has subsequently tried to arrange a group outing.   Were you chosen for your low prices and extremely random location?   Yes, you were.  Were the hand-made Chess Club t-shirts I made inclusive of not-to-subtle sexual innuendos?  Yes, they were.  Were our subsequent covers at later formals even more creative and classic than the NC State Chess Club?   Let’s say that you were the launch pad for a terrific way to occupy the mind of many hilarious young men longing to see their inside jokes take on form out in the real world.

Finally, I just want to thank you for not following up in any way on the concerns you may have had about the weekend.   We haven’t ever heard a word from you, and certainly won’t after this long stretch of time.  Even so, I wanted to put to rest any doubt you had about what was really going on… just in case you still flash back to that night every time you hear Cotton  Eye Joe and wonder “were those chess kids really just a bunch of idiot frat boys from Duke?”  Indeed we were.   Indeed we were.

Very Sincerely,

Andy Murphy

Social Chair

No comments: